St. Aloysius Parish offers two religious education options for students who do not attend St. Aloysius School: Religious Education classes and a Home School option.
High school students should plan to attend EPIC on Wednesdays from 6:45 – 8:30 p.m.
Religious Education Home School Option
The Home School Option for religious education is particularly helpful for families who live a distance from Bowling Green, have young children who struggle to stay awake or stay focused for an evening class, and for active middle school and junior high students trying to balance schoolwork and extra-curriculars with Wednesday evening classes. A registration fee is charged on a per family basis. There is a discount for early registration and a penalty for late registration. A per student sacramental preparation fee is charged for students preparing for First Reconciliation, First Communion and Confirmation. Pre-registration will be held during the month of April. Registration continues throughout the summer.
Religious Education Home School families will receive the following support from the parish:
- Books for children. We use the“Finding God” series from Loyola Press, which is the same series used in Religious Education Classes on Wednesday evenings.
- Guide for parents, available on-line at www.loyolapress.com
- Access to the “Catechist Library” at St. Aloysius for videos, background books and more.
- Group meetings six times per year to introduce each unit. The meetings are held on Sunday after the 10 a.m. Mass (11:15 AM-12:45 PM).
- Monthly newsletter emailed to your inbox.
- Email updates on Religious Education events.
Religious Education Home School families are expected to do the following:
- Register as an Religious Education home-school family.
- Attend the six group meetings with children and at least one parent. Attendance is considered mandatory. You must contact the Director of Religious Education to make a plan to cover the material if you are unable to attend.
- Work through the lessons with the children between group meetings and complete the unit assessment at the end of each unit. The assessment is available on-line.
- Attend weekend Masses.
- Communicate with the Formation Office, 419-352-4195 ext. 110 or ReligiousEd@stalbg.org
- Families with students in Sacrament Prep classes will also need to attend the initial parent meeting for the Sacrament and all appropriate meetings and classes, and complete any additional assignments. First Reconciliation and First Communion usually occur in second grade. Confirmation usually occurs in eighth grade.
How is God calling you to share your faith with others?
Consider volunteering in the Religious Education program. Both the Wednesday evening classes and the Home School Option need catechists and aides each year. If you think you may be interested, please contact the Director of Religious Education at 419-352-4195 ext. 110 or email ReligiousEd@stalbg.org to begin training.
Contact the Director of Religious Education, if you …
- have questions or concerns.
- have not yet registered your family.
- would like to help with the religious formation of our parish children. We are looking for a few individuals to teach at various age levels and to accompany families who are just coming back to the Church.